Tooth sensitivity is a major bummer. You can tell you have tooth sensitivity if your teeth ache when you eat food or drink liquids that are quite hot (like coffee, tea, or soup) or quite cold (like glacier-fresh water or ice cream). If you cringe at the very thought of biting down on crunchy foods or feeling air whistling through your teeth, you have sensitive teeth. Some people can even lose sleep over the pain of their sensitive teeth.


Here are 5 ways to address your sensitivities so you can go back to enjoying the food you love.

1. Switch to a toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth.

Sensodyne is the easiest brand to find that is formulated to care for sensitive teeth. Colgate also has one that is effective, if sensodyne isn’t. Any of these tooth pastes can be used regularly by anyone over 12, even when sensitivity subsides or if your partner uses the same toothpaste but doesn’t have sensitivity.


Sensodyne toothpaste takes 1-2 weeks before taking effect (Colgate tends to work quicker). Sometimes Colgate works when Sensodyne doesn’t.


If specific sensitive area, can place on the tooth for 30 minutes.

2. If you wake up with jaw tightness or your partner has mentioned your nightly grinding, invest in a nightguard.

Grinding can quickly wear down your tooth enamel, exposing the sensitive dentin beneath.

3. Change some of your habits like brushing your teeth too hard, or eating foods high in acid or sugar that breaks down the structure of your hard, but porous enamel.

These habits create conditions that make it easy for cavities to develop and sensitivity to get worse. Discover 4 simple ways to prevent cavities that may alleviate your sensitivity!

4. Get a topical desensitizer treatment from your dentist, and even a take-home kit to use yourself.

5. If your sensitive areas are targeted, you can get white fillings to cover the sensitive areas for a quick way to alleviate your pain.

If you’re concerned about cavities or breakdown as the cause of your sensitivity, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with your dentist to take a closer look.